Beijing Olympic Broadcasting Co., Ltd (BOB) is a Sino-foreign joint venture funded by BOCOG and the Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS), to perform the role of Olympic Broadcasting Organization (OBO) for Beijing 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games. It was officially established on September 6, 2004.
The General Manager of BOB is Mr. Manolo Romero, and the Chief Operation Officer is Mr. Ma Guoli, former Sports Director of China's CCTV. As the Host Broadcaster of the 2008 Olympic and Paralympic Games, BOB will provide International Television and Radio (ITVR) Signals for the broadcasters across the world, and plan, design, install, construct and operate the National Broadcast Centre (IBC) and the necessary broadcast facilities in other venues, and provide related services for the Rights-Holding Broadcasters during the Beijing Games.
- BOB is registered as a JV by BOCOG and OBS under IOC. BOB aims for Producing and distributing the international radio and television coverage of both Olympic Games and Paralympic Games, building and operating the International Broadcasting Center (IBC) and other venue facilities designated for broadcasting and service delivery for broadcasters.
- Mr Jiang Executive Vice-President of BOCOG was elected as Board Chairman of BOB, Coordination Commission Chairman Mr.Hein Verbruggen is the Vice Board Chairman of BOB while Mr.Manolo Romero, Head of Olympic Broadcasting Service was appointed as CEO of BOB and Mr. Ma Guoli, Head of Sports Center of CCTV, operates BOB as COO.
- BOB now has about 40 staffs and will reach 80 till the end of this year which come from all over the world since it had been prepared from Nov. 2004. Before 2008, BOB will recruit nearly 300 comparing with 4000 during the game time in 2008. BOB will use around 60 outside broadcast vans, 1000 cameras, building a over 80000 sqms IBC to produce approximate 4000 hours of live Olympic coverage.
- Over 40 billion cumulative worldwide audience will watch games via over 200 broadcasters.
- BOB Milestone:
- In May 27, 2004, Agreement Sign up of Funding BOB. BOB was put into track of establishment legally.
- In Oct. 27, 2004, the first Board Meeting of Bob was held and BOB begun its startup
- In Nov 1, 2004, BOB begun steering on.
- In May 31, 2005, BOB launches officially to the public.
- In May 31, 2005, 2nd board meeting were held.
- In Sept 21-23, 2005 world Broadcaster Briefing held in Beijing.
- In Sept 21, 2005 BOB signed MOU with China TV Production for Beijing Olympic Games.
- In Sept 21, 2005 BOB signed MOU with China Netcom for Beijing Olympic Games.